In this article, we’ll help you find a good
Keeping fish is fun. But it’s also a responsibility.
Your fish need to be fed, the fish tank needs to be set up just right, and the water needs to be cleaned.
Leftover fish food and waste produced by the fish shouldn’t accumulate in the tank; otherwise, the water will get too dirty for your fish to keep healthy.
There is some manual cleaning involved in maintaining a fish tank, but the bulk of cleaning responsibility falls on the filter.
The filter is one of the more critical elements of the setup since it is directly related to the health and well being of the fish.
When selecting a
For example, will it be densely planted or heavily stocked?
All of this matters when selecting the right filter. A densely planted tank won’t need much filtration as your plants will help filter the water.
However, a heavily stocked tank may require you to select a filter that is rated for a 20 or even a 30 gallon tank depending on what you keep.
I set up a 10 gallon tank with lots of plants, six glowlight tetra a few shrimp. For this tank, I used an Aquaclear 20, and the water always looks great.
Next, let’s take a quick look at four power filters that would be great for a 10 gallon tank.
Here Is My All-Time Favorite Hang On The Back Filter
What Is The Best
HOB Filter For A 10 Gallon Tank?
Here are 4 of the best hang on the back filters you can choose for your small 10 gallon fish tank:
One-size-fits-all fish tank filters don’t work equally well with different aquariums. AquaClear has understood this issue and designed its filters for different tank capacities and filter rates. Here, we are reviewing the AquaClear that is perfect for 10 gallon tanks but can be used with the sizes up to 20 gallons. The AquaClear filter has a pump output of 100 gallons per hour that ensures the right amount of water circulation.
One of the most impressive things about this
This well-thought-out filtration system delivers optimal chemical, biological, and mechanical filtration but without removing good bacteria from the water that act as nitrate and ammonia exterminator in the water. With cartridge filters, you can’t protect and grow these beneficial bacteria colonies that contribute to making the aquarium environment safer for fish.
- Features a re-filtration system— control the flow rate without compromising on filtration efficiency
- Its gentle flow pattern is ideal for delicate plant and fish species
- Filtration volume seven times larger than other similar filters
- Offers best biological filtration for aquarium— doesn’t get rid of good bacteria
- Makes a loud noise with its motor’s movement
- 2-week cleaning might not suit some users
- Costly to replace filters inserts after a couple of months
- Prone to leaks
This product by Aqueon can be a top pick among the best HOB filters for 10 gallon tanks. Nearly every feature of this fish tank filter is great and worth discussing. For starters, its multi-stage filtration system doesn’t just include chemical, biological, and mechanical filtration. The manufacturer has also used its propriety filtration pads to ensure a holistic cleaning of the water.
The other great thing about this Aqueon fish tank filter is its tremendous flow rate. When many similar filters offer 100-200 gallons per hour, Aqueon QuietFlow can circulate 400 gallons of water in an hour. This high flow rate ensures better oxygenation of the aquarium water that keeps the aquatic life active and healthy.
Aqueon has used the title “QuietFlow” for this filter for a reason. Its internal pump is designed in a way that it dampens the noise of the motor and impeller. The design is also leak-proof, so you don’t have to worry about a puddle of dirty water around the aquarium with drip-drip leaks that often happen in substandard HOB filters.
Another feature that makes it stand apart among other HOB filters is its LED indicator light. Instead of keeping track of days and weeks, you can find out when it is time to replace the cartridges with this LED indicator that starts flashing when cartridges get clogged.
- Offers noise-free operations— one of the quietest filters on the block
- Easy to install and set up— features a self-priming pump
- Features an LED indicator for hassle-free cartridge replacement
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- The impeller shaft can seize due to dirt/grease accumulation
- The plastic filter chamber construction could be better
- Impeller might rattle against the glass
- A bit heavy on the pocket
4. Marineland Penguin
The Marineland Penguin
The first stage is mechanical filtration, where Rite-size Penguin Cartridge filters out all the debris, including dirt and small stones, to give the water a clear appearance. It also features a propriety ribbed back that ensures the maximum amount of water comes into contact with its premium activated carbon chemical filter
This top-grade carbon filter
This Bio-Wheel filter is not just efficient with its greater surface area. Its filtration mechanism also keeps the healthy bacteria in the water unharmed. If you want to dampen the motor’s noise and want easy access to filter cartridges, the use of its two-piece vented cover will come in handy.
- State-of-the-art Bio-Wheel filter for effective wet/dry biological filtration
- Comes with an adjustable mid-level intake— improved water circulation
- Easy to replace cartridges
- A reasonably-priced
- A bit too noisy
- Needs frequent filter replacement
- Construction of Bio-Wheel could be sturdier
- Terms of warranty are vague
HOB Filter– A Buying Guide
If you want to explore options other than the four HOB filters for 10 gallon tanks we have discussed here, take the following features/factors into consideration.
Flow rate is what determines the size and capacity of a
Also, scientific studies have proved that different fish species have different flow requirements. If you don’t want to get confused with flow rate specs, just make a simple rule for that: a filter should be able to go through all the water in the tank for at least 4-5 times in an hour. This means a 50 GPH filter will be good enough for a 10 gallon fish tank.
The above filtration equation will help you in comparing a filter with your tank size. A 50 GPH is good for a 10 gallon tank. Similarly, 100-150 GPH filters will be suitable for 20-30-gallon aquariums. However, you can go for higher flow rates for your tank if they are available at the same price points.
Filtration media is another important factor to consider while buying a
These are some good filtration media and ensure holistic mechanical, chemical, and biological filtration.
It is better to pick from brands that have been around for years and have made several fishkeeping accessories, including HOB filters. AquaClear, Aqueon, Marineland, Fluval, and Marina are some of the trustworthy names of the industry.
The price is a subjective matter for buyers. However, it is still better to know what are the usual price points set for HOB filters for 10 gallon tanks. For instance, you can easily get a top-quality best
Learn A Few Good Tips For Hang On Back Filters
What Size Filter Do You Need For A 10 Gallon Tank?
Any filter that can deliver the flow rate of at least 50 GPH will be good enough for a 10 gallon tank. You can also opt for filters with higher flower rates if the fish in the tank don’t get frantic in higher currents.
Do I Need A Filter For My 10 Gallon Fish Tank?
Yes, you need a filter for your 10 gallon fish tank to oxygenate its water for keeping fish active. A good multi-stage filter also takes care of the mechanical debris as well as chemical and biological impurities like excessive algae buildup, ammonia, and nitrate to make sure the aquarium environment remains healthy for the aquatic life present inside.
Can I Put A 20 Gallon Filter In A 10 Gallon Tank?
Yes, you can put a filter rated for a 20-gallon tank in a 10 gallon tank. In fact, many times, the same filter is rated for both 10 and 20-gallon tanks. However, if you are keeping fish such as gouramis or shoaling fish that are not used to high water currents, it is better to stick to the prescribed rating.
That said if you are an experienced fish keeper and understand how live plants and an appropriately stocked tank can function as one system you can get away without a filter.
But like I said, you need to be experienced to pull this off.
Among the four HOB filters we have reviewed, we think AquaClear is the best
We also like this
Learn More About HOB Filters:
- HOB Filter for a 10 gallon tank
- HOB Filter for a 20 gallon tank
- HOB Filter for a 55 gallon tank
- HOB Filter for a Planted tank
- Overall Best HOB Fitler Buyers guide
More Info About 10-Gallon Tanks
- Guide to Setting up Your 10-Gallon Planted Tank
- 12 Hungry Algae Eaters For Small Tanks 10 Gallons & Under
- Stocking A 10 Gallon Tank
- Best Small Catfish for a 10-Gallon Tank Setup
- Bottom Feeder Fish for a 10-Gallon Tank
- How Much Gravel For A 10 Gallon Tank
- How Many Neon Tetras In A 10 Gallon Tank
- How Many Guppies in a 10-Gallon Tank
- How Many Goldfish in a 10-Gallon Tank
- Easy 10-gallon Cichlid Tank Ideas
- Best Powerhead for a 10 Gallon Tank
- What Is The Best Canister Filter For A 10 Gallon Fish Tank?
- Gravel Vacuum For 10 Gallon Tank & Smaller
- Best Stands For 10 Gallon Fish Tanks