It doesn’t matter how regular you feed your fish, there are going to be times when you are unable to do so.
What if you want to go away on vacation, and there will be no one there to feed your fish while you are gone?
Tank maintenance is one thing, but the food is another.
What you need is an automatic fish feeder. This is going to ensure that your fish are fed regularly, even if you are going to be away for several days at a time.
We are going to take a look at five of the best automatic fish feeders, and give you the information you need to make the best decision about which one to get for your aquarium.
Our Top Picks
1. Best for Everyday Use – Eheim Battery Operated Auto Fish Feeder
The Eheim Battery Operated Auto Fish Feeder is ideal for everyday usage, so even if you forget to feed your fish, you don’t have to worry about it. It is reliable and designed to dispense accurate portions every time, which is going to help prevent over-feeding of your fish.
2. Best for Shrimp Feeding – ISTA Clear Glass Dish Tray Feeder
Do you need a shrimp feeder for various types of shrimp food? The ISTA Clear Glass Dish Tray Feeder is just what you have been looking for. This feeder is literally a clear glass tray that is ideal for shrimp benthic feeding use. It will not drop between soil grains, so it won’t cause any contamination in the water.
3. Best Functions – NICREW Automatic Fish Feeder
The NICREW Automatic Fish Feeder lets you program up to five daily feedings, and you get to decide on the dose for those feedings. It even has an “off” button, so you can pause the programming at any time, and then turn it back on later.
4. Best for Turtles and Reptiles – Petacc Automatic Fish Feeder
Do you have a turtle or reptile tank, and want to use an automatic fish feeder to make sure that your pets are fed at the same time every day? If so, you may want to check out the Petacc Automatic Fish Feeder, which lets you use small granule or linear fodder.
5. Best Tank Compatibility – Automatic Fish Food Feeder
Finally, we look at an automatic fish feeder that is compatible with all aquariums, no matter the style or size. It lets you feed your fish up to four times daily, and you can program in the portion size of your choosing. It is adjustable, and battery operated so it will work during power failures.
Best Automatic Fish Feeders Reviews
The purpose of this article is to give you the information you need about a few different automatic fish feeders. Whether you want one for everyday use, or just for when you are out of town, you will find something here that will perfectly suit.
1. Eheim Battery Operated Auto Fish Feeder
The Eheim Battery Operated Auto Fish Feeder is great for everyday use, and it is easy to set up and use. It offers easy digital programming for up to 8 feedings each day, and an integrated fan system helps to keep the food dry.
- Helps to prevent over-feeding of fish
- Easy to set up and use
- You can set the desired portions for each feeding
- Some units have stopped working after a few weeks
- Not waterproof, water gets into the tank
- Metering food dosage can be complicated
If you are looking for an auto feeder that you can use every day, this model from Eheim is a great choice. It can be programmed for up to eight daily feedings, and it will meter your specified dose of food. It is ideal for use with most types of fish food.
2. ISTA Clear Glass Dish Tray Feeder
- Ideal for any type of aquarium
- Perfect for shrimp benthic feeding
- Can be used for other types of fish food
- Some reports of shrimp refusing to eat from the tray
- Made from plastic and not glass
- There is a label that is distracting to look at
All in all, if you are looking for a shrimp feeding tray, this is going to suffice. It does just what it is meant to do, nothing more, and nothing less. An upside is that it can be used for feeding other types of fish, and it is great for all types of aquariums.
3. NICREW Automatic Fish Feeder
- Integrated fan and ventilation system to keep food dry
- Adjustable slider and rotation times for setting portion sizes
- LCD display is easy to read
- Problems with the unit not working properly
- Container may become stuck
- Clamp is not multi-directional
If you have a tendency to forget to feed the fish, the NICREW Automatic Fish Feeder is going to be a life saver, for your fish. It is easy to set up and use, and it allows you to set your own specific portion sizes for five daily feedings.
4. Petacc Automatic Fish Feeder
- Two time settings, 12 and 24 hours
- Can be used for granule or linear foods
- Multi-positional, comes with clips and magic tape
We have found no issues with this automatic fish feeder
If you need a fish feeder that you can use for feeding a variety of reptiles, and you need to set twice-daily feedings, the Petacc Automatic Fish Feeder is a good option to consider. It lets you choose the portion size, and it can be used for various types of fish and reptile foods.
5. Automatic Fish Food Feeder
- Fully adjustable and fits all tank types and sizes
- Built with premium materials
- Battery operated, works during power outages
- Made from cheap materials
- Hopper is too small
- Amount of food delivered varies
If you need an automatic fish feeder that will work with a variety of fish foods, including pellets and flakes, the Automatic Fish Food Feeder is a great choice. You can make sure that your fish are always fed, even if you have a busy schedule or will be away on vacation.
When you are using an automatic fish feeder, you will never have to worry about whether or not your fish are fed. Just like us, they are on feeding schedules, and it can be damaging for them if they are not fed according to schedule.
Keep your fish healthy and happy with food when they expect it. Make your life easier by investing in a fish feeder.
To narrow the options down for you, the Eheim Battery Operated Auto Fish Feeder is rated as one of the best automatic fish feeders because of its digital programming features which allows you to schedule up to 8 feedings per day.